This is the original recipe:
115g (4oz) butter, melted
115g (4oz) caster sugar
1 teaspoon almond essence (I used extract for better flavour)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
150g (5oz) natural yoghurt
225g (8oz) plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
50g (2oz) walnut pieces
3 tablespoons raspberry preserve
1 tablespoon demerara sugar
75g (3oz) walnut halves
- Grease and line the base of a 23cm (9 inch) loose-bottomed cake tin. Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4
- Beat melted butter and sugar until pale and fluffy
- Gradually beat in the eggs, almond extract, lemon juice and yoghurt until thoroughly combined
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder and gently fold them into the mixture together with the walnut pieces.
- Place half the cake mixture in the prepared tin. Spoon over the raspberry preserve and top with the remaining mixture.
- Sprinkle the top with the walnut halves and demerara sugar. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until risen and firm to the touch.
- Leave in the tin for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.