Monday, March 02, 2009

Not really a meme

I don't normally do tags and memes but Nan has issued an open invitation for anyone to join in a fifth photo meme, which is easy and interesting. You simply take the fifth photo from your fifth file.

I looked at my fifth file, just out of curiosity, and discovered a most appropriate picture for Nan: it is the De Graffenried sculpture of a family about to set sail for a new life in America. It was presented to the people of Portsmouth by the Pioneer Heritage Foundation in 2001.

The sculpture is on Broad Street, close to the entrance to the Sally Port, where the emigrants would have boarded ship.

As this is not really a meme, I am going to cheat and show more than one picture so that you can see the other child in the family group.
And if you click this picture to enlarge it, you will be able to read the commemoration plaque.
Of course, this not being a meme, I will not name five more people to carry it on but if anyone would like to post a picture, I would love to see it and so would Nan.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Maureen, isn't this just wonderful. Achingly sad, and brave at the same time. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Nan, it made me catch my breath when I saw it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and promise that I will reply as soon as I can leave my garden, sewing room or kitchen!