Much could be said about the supermarkets encouraging people to over buy with giant-sized packages and 2for1 offers, the absence of home economy and cooking lessons in the school curriculum and the failure of my generation to pass on skills to the next but I will refrain from that and offer my recipe for mincemeat cake instead!
For my son and anyone else who bought the giant size tub of mincemeat, here is how I use mine:
125g/4oz soft brown sugar
3 large eggs
190g/7oz self-raising flour (white or wholemeal or a mixture of both)
Milk if necessary
- Grease and line a 7inch (18cm) cake tin
- Cream the butter and sugar
- Beat in the eggs, adding a little flour if the mixture curdles
- Stir in the mincemeat and flour
- The mixture should be quite moist. You may need to add some milk if the mincemeat is dry.
- Bake in a moderate oven, Gas 3/325F/160C for ten minutes thenreduce heat to Gas 2 300F/150C for about 90 minutes, until cake is firm on top and shrinking from sides of tin.
- Allow to cool a little before turning onto a baking rack.