Thursday, November 20, 2008

Random round-up

I am spending most of my time finishing off quilting and knitting projects destined to be Christmas presents but I did manage to get away for a few hours yesterday to visit my dear friend D. With yet another birthday approaching to remind me that I'm decidedly over the crest of the hill now, it was good to spend time with someone who firmly believes in 60goingon16.

If you follow D's blog, you will know that she is busy caring for some poorly pets just now but there was plenty of evidence that her ministrations
are bearing fruit and the patients are doing very well.

It was a clear, sunny day yesterday and I enjoyed the drive across the moor, which still looks autumnal although the forecasters tell us there are wintry showers coming tonight. After a splendid time putting the world to rights and enjoying the most wonderful cauliflower and walnut soup, followed by apple and ginger crumble, I headed for home and arrived just as the sun was setting. As I parked the car, I noticed that a viburnum I planted last year has come into flower for the first time and looked really delicate against the evening sky. It is a viburnum bodnantense, 'Dawn,' but it looks good at dusk, don't you think?

I switched on the yard light for another picture but it looks less impressive here!
Cosy evenings by the fire call for hot chocolate and crime fiction. I have been waiting for months to get around to reading some of Martin Edwards' books and the time has come. I haven't read any others and am not sure if I ought to work through them in a particular order but this is what has just arrived from Amazon. I may be in for some sleepless nights as I've heard that these books are hard to put down.

The MM is painting the kitchen this week. He is tackling one wall each day in order to minimise disruption. (Only a man could think that!) While this minimal disruption continues, I shall avoid that part of the house and carry on with my quilting, knitting and crime fiction.

11 comments:

  1. Lovely photos.
    Quite a few people seem to mention Martin Edwards - I don't read much crime but maybe I should try him.

    How interesting that the wartime diet is so slimming. Is that because of the very small amount of meat and butter allowed? I must read your backblog and see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie, I think the potatoes and beans are so stodgy that if I eat the main meal at lunchtime instead of in the evening, I really don't need anything else but a bowl of soup or some fruit for supper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just finished making the broccoli and walnut version of the soup, M - thanks for the broccoli! -and made (low GI) oatcakes to go with it. I think you'll enjoy the broccoli version too . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of the Liverpool series, but as far as the Lake District books go, do begin with The Coffin Trail. It sets up a relationship that I feel certain is going to progress into the next books. And I'll bet it's the same way with the L. books. Aren't we lucky to be just beginning! I love knowing a whole new series is ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. D, there is a superb cauliflower in this week's veg box and I hope to pick up some walnuts at the farmers' market tomorrow so the MM and I will be having the soup for supper. I imagine the broccoli version was a gorgeous colour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for that tip, Nan. I started reading the Cipher Garden, because that arrived first, but I think I will leave that and read The Coffin Trail first to get some background on the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll send you a photo of the broccoli version, M, and you can decide on the quality of its colour for yourself. (But it does contrast rather nicely with the paprika on top!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I very much enjoyed The Coffin Trail and will read more Martin Edwards' novels. But I must mention to all those who look in at this blog an excellent first novel by Catherine Law entitled A Season of Leaves.
    I would love the cauli and walnut soup recipe. It would come in handy, perhaps, for NEXT winter (thinking ahead!) because our walnut tree has not provided many nuts this year and those it has produced have been enjoyed by Nutter, the local grey squirrel! Some years we have masses (and I mean masses, about 36 - 40 lbs) and others, zilch!
    Margaret Powling

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the book recommendation, Margaret. As you can see, I have rather a lot on my immediate TBR pile but it might make it on to the lower slopes of the TBR mountain.

    Sorry I can't give the soup recipe, it belongs to friend D. Perhaps you could persuade her to part with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have read the Lake District books of Martin Edwards and very much enjoyed them. Tightly plotted and with interesting characters, I read them all through in about one week and then of course have to sit and wait for the next one...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Elaine, I'm enjoying reading the Lake District books but not as quickly as you did. A book in a week is good going for me! I am planning to read Martin Edwards' Liverpool series when I have finished these.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and promise that I will reply as soon as I can leave my garden, sewing room or kitchen!