Wednesday, July 02, 2008

More from Valencia

Walking along the dry riverbed in Valencia, I couldn't help thinking about the drought-dried bed of the Kabul River described in A Thousand Splendid Suns. That was the scene of public executions and brutal punishments by the Taliban.

How different from this football pitch and and the parks where people start the day with Tai Chi.
Crossing the riverbed on a tour bus I could only manage to capture the top of the 14th century Serranos Towers.

We saw building work going on all around the city. I am pleased to say that it was mostly the restoration and refurbishment of beautiful old buildings, there was very little evidence of the old being demolished. A city that can boast such architectural treasures as the Palace of the Marquis of Dos Aguas (now the museum of ceramics)


cannot be blamed for flaunting what they've got!







1 comment:

I love to read your comments and promise that I will reply as soon as I can leave my garden, sewing room or kitchen!