Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Language safe for another generation - you saw it here first

Contrary to opinions that I expressed in a previous post on language development, it seems that today's infants will develop a great command of the English language simply by spending many hours watching BBC television. I've just had notice of a range of products to accompany a series called In The Night Garden. What more could our children need than plastic or plush models of Upsy Daisy, Makka Pakka, Ninky Nonk and Igglepiggle? Move over Tinky Winky, Dipsy, Laa-laa and Po.

9 comments:

  1. My God, it's true! Tinky Winky really is gay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of Ladies and Dames -- I did a little perfunctary googling, but couldn't find the term for "knighting" women. Is there a proper term for it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't find anything about the award ceremony, either. Perhaps Dames are dubbed, the same as knights i.e. tapped on the shoulder with a sword (or that could be just in Hollywood!)
    However, you could have DBE after your name, for Dame of the british Empire. How does erp,DBE sound?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think without a royal blood connection that DBE is the limit. It would put you on a par with Helen Mirren and she did, after all, end up as Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay then. BTW - Lady Helen was a great queen.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and promise that I will reply as soon as I can leave my garden, sewing room or kitchen!