Thursday, January 29, 2015

The last thing on my mind

Days slipped into weeks then into months and now a whole year has passed since my last post on Random Distractions. Here we are in the midst of wintry weather and that was the thing on my mind when I last wrote.


I can't claim  excuses of going off to war, being forced to leave my home or even going on holiday for my absence but some explanation is required. The early months of last year were filled with hospital visits as my husband had major surgery on his spine. The hospital is 70 miles away so the outpatient visits took whole days and I had to take up residence in the city while he had his surgery. That took care of several months, when writing really was the last thing on my mind. I'm afraid that the longer I stayed away from the keyboard the harder it became to get back to it and lo, a year has passed!

I fear I have probably lost all of my old friends but, just in case anyone still looks in, here is a huge apology for going away with no word of farewell.

So, what does 2015 have in store? Top of my wishlist is good health for all my family and friends. I'm delighted to say that my husband is mobile again - no crutches or sticks but no more 5 mile walks before breakfast. That doesn't mean that I see more of him, however, as he used to set off at dawn every morning and would be home again before I woke. Nowadays he has to content himself with a couple of hours studying languages: stretching his mind instead of his legs.

Speaking of stretching minds, our village has just set up a branch of the University of the Third Age (U3A) and we are both very busy developing new skills and practising old ones. All that language study is coming in useful  for the MM as he is leading groups in French, German and Spanish. I have joined a book group (more of that another day) and genealogy, gardening and craft groups. We have both joined the "strolling group" as the walking and long-walking groups are beyond our current competence. It is all very exciting and we have met dozens of people. The dullest village in England has suddenly become extremely interesting. And that just as we are about to leave!

Yes, after several years of thinking and talking about it, we have decided to leave Devon and move to the Oxford area to be close to our lovely daughter and grandchildren. We will also be much closer than at present to our son and his family. We will all miss the sea and sand but we wil have beautiful countryside instead. Now we are busy decluttering and doing all those little repair jobs that have been put off over the 25 years we have lived in this house. I will miss my garden but I am looking forward to finding a modern easy to care for house. Eighteenth century cottages are full of character but also  full of problems, usually very expensive to fix.

I'll be back soon with reports on my recent reading for the U3A book group. I hope this reaches someone but a comment or two would probably be more than I deserve. Still, here's hoping.

17 comments:

  1. WhooooHoooo You're back!!!!
    How nice is that ! Very actually.

    Gosh you've had a busy year and it sounds like this one is going to compete for busy'ness but hopeful not in a painful way.

    Moving can be rather daunting but sooner or later it's done and you have new places to explore ..it's lovely to have you back :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. Hi Val. Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad to be back and will be over to visit you directly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well now - The Wanderer has returned:) Nice to see you again Maureen :)

    I imagine it was a stressful time you (and your man) had during the past year so it's good to hear both of you are looking forward to whatever turns up next. I'm sure you will be pleased to have seen the back of 2014 and really hoping for a better 2015. Packing up your household will be enought to keep you going for another year but I'm sure you want it done by then lol

    Do come and chat when you have time Maureen - we are waiting to hear all the goss about what goes on at a U3A book group.
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so nice of you, Cathy.

    Yes, I am really glad that 2014 is over. There is a lot to be done before we can sell the house but we are getting there steadily. And then we can look forward to seeing more of the family and exploring new places. I'm just popping over to yours for a quick cuppa before I go to bed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice to see you back posting again. I did wonder where you were I must admit. So sorry your husband has had such awful problems but glad he's on the mend now. Good luck with the move, it'll be nice for you to be closer to your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cath. I feel very lucky to see my old friends calling in after my neglecting you for such a long time. Things can only get better this year! We are going to wait until the garden starts to come to life before putting the house on the market as it is looking quite drab at present, the problem then being that I won't want to leave it. I'll just have to be brave.

      Delete
  6. You are still in my feedly list - glad to see you back. You had a tough year - I hope 2015 will be kinder and good luck with your move - that can be very stressful, I know! I'm looking forward to reading your book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret. Everyone has been most kind and forgiving about my long silence. Review of The Luminaries coming up in the next day or two.

      Delete
  7. You've been on my mind a lot lately wondering what you've been doing. Glad to hear you're well and back at the computer.

    Looking forward to lots of interesting new posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful to hear from you! I hope all is well with you and your family. I have not only been too busy to get online for a long time but my personal email account was somehow taken over by someone else and I only found out when I started to get billed for things I hadn't bought! That took a long time to sort and I just gave up on the internet for a while. I hope I'm back to stay now.

      Delete
    2. I've had some excitement as well. We need to catch up.

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad that you're back!
    I do hope this year will be easier than the last - even if moving house is a full time job.
    Margaretha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaeetha. I will try to write something regularly although life is rather chaotic.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dear friend, you're back! It was only by going back to my old blog and reading an old post and the comments that I happened to click on your name and was so happy to see you were posting again. What a gift to find this cold morning in Tennessee with 9 inches of snow on the ground! And I'm so pleased to learn that your husband's surgery was a success! Is moving still in the works? It would be bliss to be nearer family.

    Dropping out of blogging only lasted a month for me and then I began a new blog, not opening comments for 11 months until a sweet persistent friend kept encouraging me to. And even now I sometimes am absent for weeks at a time, and am comfortable with that. And now I've gone back to my old blog too where few people know I am, just for my own pleasure.

    It is a highlight in my morning here to see you are posting again!
    Best from,
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I decide there should be a source of random distractions. I google. There is! Or there was. Sorry I missed you.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and promise that I will reply as soon as I can leave my garden, sewing room or kitchen!